Making granola is so much healthier, satisfying, and downright tastier than buying it. After all, you control the ingredients!! The following recipe forms the foundation of the granola I make at least once every week. I always experiment and add additional ingredients depending on how I feel or what’s in the pantry (always whole, unprocessed food; typically organic; never any added sugars) In our household, we use granola for breakfast, snacks, and dessert.
This recipe yields 5+ cups; Cook time: 40-45 minutes
- 4 – 5 cups organic, gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups raw almond slivers
- 1 1/4 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried, unsweetened coconut chips
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Optional add-ins: 3 tbsp. raw sesame seeds; 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, mango, goji berries, etc.)*; grated orange or lemon rind; cacao nibs; raw pecan pieces. Feel free to experiment!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together
- Add all liquid ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop the mixture onto the parchment-lined cookie sheet, flatten, and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove from the oven, re-stir, and flatten the mixture; bake for the remaining 20-25 minutes until done to your taste. The longer it bakes, the more golden and crispy it becomes.
- *If using dried fruit, add it right after removing the granola from the oven for the last time.
- Serve plain or with coconut yogurt (or almond milk) and berries.